Curing your marijuana flower will improve its efficiency and shelf life, and produce a extra flavorful finish product. Hold studying to learn to remedy marijuana.
You’ve spent months rising and caring to your hashish to produce wholesome flowers, or “buds.” When you could also be tempted to dry and use your harvested hashish as shortly as doable, taking the additional time to correctly remedy your marijuana flower will result in a considerably higher remaining product.
What Is Curing Marijuana?
Curing your hashish is the ultimate step in rising and harvesting your individual dried marijuana flower for consumption, whether or not that’s by smoking, vaping, making edibles, or extra. Curing of marijuana occurs immediately after the plant has been harvested. It’s a extended drying course of that makes use of environmentally managed circumstances to take away the moisture out of your hashish flowers and permit the plant’s cannabinoid and terpene packed oil to completely mature.
Why Is Curing Marijuana Vital?
Curing is a vital, but ignored, side of hashish cultivation that makes a substantial affect on the ultimate high quality of marijuana flower.
As an outline, curing and drying your marijuana after harvest:
- Will increase the efficiency of your marijuana
- Prolongs the shelf lifetime of your marijuana
- Improves the flavour and odor of your marijuana
Marijuana growers primarily remedy their flower as a result of it’s a necessary course of for preserving the efficiency of the flower’s compounds and different pure constituents. That is significantly necessary should you’re rising medical marijuana and counting on explicit cannabinoids.
The curing course of encourages partial decarboxylation, a course of that converts sure compounds into new ones. For instance, cannabidiolic acid (CBDA), present in contemporary hashish, step by step turns into the extremely wanted cannabidiol (CBD) through the drying course of, whereas tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCA) turns into the psychoactive compound tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
Correctly cured marijuana flower stays potent and flavorful for for much longer than uncured marijuana, which might develop into moldy comparatively shortly. That is significantly necessary should you’re hoping to retailer your marijuana for future use, or depend on all the time having sufficient that’s prepared to make use of between harvests. Effectively-cured marijuana flower can final for as much as two years if saved in an hermetic, moisture managed container in a cool, darkish place.
Curing marijuana flower after harvest additionally enhances its taste and odor. A sluggish curing course of preserves the flower’s terpenes, the fragrant compounds that give hashish its distinctive taste and odor. Curing helps be certain that the flower’s delicate taste undertones are extra pronounced, whereas uncured, moist flower can have a grassy or hay-like taste.
How Lengthy Does It Take to Dry Marijuana?
The hashish curing course of — from as soon as the flowers are harvested to when they’re prepared for consumption — often takes a few month.
There are two main steps within the curing hashish course of:
- The preliminary drying step takes as much as two weeks, relying on how the hashish plant was grown and the humidity the place the flower is positioned to dry.
- The ultimate hashish curing step takes a minimal of two weeks, however some growers discover that curing for Four-Eight weeks produces better outcomes.
Easy methods to Treatment Marijuana?
In case you lookup how lengthy to remedy hashish, you’ll discover a number of solutions. Whereas there are a number of methods to remedy hashish flower, most individuals use a variation of a single fashionable methodology that has proven to usually produce high-quality buds that are perfect for consumption.
Right here’s a glance, primarily based on that fashionable methodology, at dry and remedy hashish.
Step One: Preliminary Dry Trim Course of
Skilled marijuana growers usually use an preliminary drying course of that aids in slowing the speed of evaporation to forestall the vegetation from drying out too shortly.
- Reduce branches 12-16” lengthy out of your hashish vegetation and take away undesirable leaves.
- Hold the branches from thick string or wire.
- Retailer the hanging branches in a darkish room with temperatures stored at 60°-75°F and humidity at 45-55 p.c. To optimally protect the flower’s taste and aroma, add a small fan to the room to softly flow into the air.
- Round 5-15 days later, or as soon as the flowers really feel barely crunchy and small branches simply snap off, gently take the branches down and proceed to the following step.
Step Two: Hashish Flower Curing
As soon as your hashish flower is generally dry, it’s time to maneuver on to the ultimate curing step. This may take a number of weeks and a bit little bit of diligence, however correct marijuana curing is vital for optimum style and efficiency.
- Gather a number of hermetic containers (however not plastic baggage). Growers generally use quart-sized, wide-mouthed canning jars. Tinted jars are best as a result of they assist stop UV mild from seeping in and degrading the flower’s compounds.
- Trim the flowers from the plant’s branches.
- Pack the flowers loosely contained in the hermetic containers, filling them about ¾ of the way in which to the highest with out crushing the buds.
- Seal the containers and retailer them in a spot that’s cool, dry, and darkish.
- Through the first week, open the containers for 5-10 minutes a number of instances per day. This enables the moisture leaving the flowers to flee and replenishes the oxygen contained in the container.
- After the primary week, open the containers simply as soon as each few days to let the flowers breathe for a couple of minutes.
- Proceed the curing course of for a minimum of 2-Three weeks. Many growers discover that curing for Four-Eight weeks improves the standard of the flower much more.
After the curing course of, the publicity to air can oxidize and degrade the hashish, so it must be prevented. Hold your well-dried buds within the hermetic jars. In case you plan to retailer your cured flower long-term, a vacuum sealer could also be useful. You may study extra about storing marijuana on our Hashish 101 web page.
Study Extra about Rising Marijuana
With legal guidelines associated to medical marijuana and leisure marijuana increasing authorized entry all through america, extra individuals are serious about studying develop and harvest their very own hashish.